OPPORTUNITIES FOR LAW STUDENTS AND LAWYERS IN DECEMBER 2020
JOB AND INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
1. Alliance Law Firm Commercial Litigation Associate
Alliance Law firm is one of Lagos’ top law firms, providing exceptional cutting-edge legal services to leading businesses in Nigeria and around the world. Alliance Law Firm handles transactions of all sizes and levels of complexity regardless of whether the issue is local, foreign or practice-area specific.
The firm has announced an opening for a Commercial Litigation Associate role. This role involves managing and providing legal support to the firm in relation to all matters with a diverse range of transactions in energy & natural resources, capital markets, banking and related matters.
The role will require the associate to:
- Have oversight responsibility in handling of related litigation matters for the firm
- Ensure that client relationships are effectively managed
- Oversee compliance in respect of statutory filings of clients matters
- General corporate and commercial law practice
- Prepare and vet of court processes
- Manage court cases
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing legal agreements and other documentation for the firm
- Conducting legal due diligence on counter-party to transactions involving the firm
- Researching legal issues relating to transactions
- Providing legal opinions on issues that may arise in connection with the transactions
- Providing general legal advice on transactions
Interested candidates must be/possess
- Minimum of Second Class Upper Division from a recognised university and Nigeria Law School
- Articulate and creative
- Strong desire for research
- Ability to see through objections and provide plausible counter arguments
- Team player and leader
- Ability to take ownership of the role and work with minimum supervision.
- Must be keen to innovate and be successful at formulating and implementing strategies and plans.
- Excellent oral and writing skills
- Sound, effective and enthusiastic communicator.
- Previous experience in role would be an advantage.
- Versatile & Hardworking.
- Minimum of 4 years post-call experience from a reputable law firm in Lagos
- Specialized training in ADR related courses would be an advantage.
1. VISIBLE INFLUENCE 2020 ESSAY COMPETITION
Phronesis Global Leadership Group is receiving entries for the 2020 essay competition. The theme of this year’s essay is “Leadership crisis in Africa and the role of youths in creating a better future.”
- The competition is open to youths between 18 and 30 years.
- The word count for the essay is 1200 to 1500 words. Submissions are to be typed with 12 pt font size, Times New Roman and double line spacing.
- Entrants may submit only one essay.
- Essays must have a title page and references.
- The essay must reflect the entrant’s ability to discuss the peculiarities of Africa and demonstrate excellent conduct of research
- Entries are to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF only.
- All participants must register for the Phronesis summit as winners will be anounced at the summit.
1st prize: $100 and Phronesis Ambassadorship Award
2nd prize: Phronesis Ambassadorship Award
3rd prize: Phronesis Ambassadorship Award
The deadline for submissions is 12 pm (WAT), 13th December, 2020.
2. Slaughter & May Africa Essay Prize
The Slaughter and May Africa Essay Prize is an exciting opportunity for law and non-law students to demonstrate their commercial and legal skills in an African context and have the chance to win a substantial prize.
Applicants are asked to submit a response to one of the following two questions:
What is the role of supra-national regulators and/or the benefits of a “one-stop-shop” approach with respect to Competition law in Africa?
What impact will COVID-19 have on African nations?
- To enter, you must be enrolled as a current student at an educational institution on the deadline for submission of entries. Both full-time and part-time, law and non-law, undergraduate and post-graduate students (including Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course students) are eligible to enter.
- The essay word limit is 1,000 words. Footnotes are not included in the 1,000 word essay.
- The essay must be the sole creation and original work of the entrant.
- Only one entry per person is allowed
- Entrants are free to focus on particular case studies or one or more of African jurisdictions in your essay.
- Entrants are advised not to include any personal details anywhere in essay submissions (such as name or place of study). The essays will be judged “blind” and then matched up subsequently to the personal information entrants provide when they enter via Slaughter and May’s website.
Entries should display:
- Familiarity with and interest in African commerce and law.
- Imagination and originality in approach
- Concision, in order to maximise the use of the available word limit.
- Close attention to detail and an evidence-based approach.
A panel of Slaughter and May partners and guests will judge the competition. The winners will receive the following prizes:
- Cash prize of £1,000
- One week Easter work experience scheme*
- One hour one-to-one coaching with L&D specialist
- Lunch with members of the African Practice Group
- CV review
- Slaughter and May goody bag
- Cash prize of £500
- A visit to Slaughter and May
- Lunch with members of the Africa Practice Group (same day as ‘a visit to Slaughter and May’)
- Slaughter and May goody bag
- Cash prize of £250
- Slaughter and May goody bag
Submissions close on 11 January 2021. Visit the Slaughter and May website to submit your entry
SCHOLARSHIPS AND FELLOWSHIPS
1. PAVESTONES LAW SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
Pavestones Legal is pleased to announce the commencement of the maiden edition of the Pavestones Law School Scholarship Award. The scholarship award is to sponsor a law student to undertake studies at the Nigerian Law School for the 2021 academic year
- Applicants must have a CGPA of at least 3.5 from their bachelor’s degree.
- Applicants must be eligible for law school in 2021.
- Applicants must have an interest in technology law.
To apply, applicants are to:
- Submit a video entry not exceeding a length of seven minutes on the theme: “Law and Technology in the 21st century”
- Upload the video to Google drive and attach the link in a mail to email@example.com.
- The email subject must be “Scholarship Application”
- Applicants are expected to be as innovative as possible with their pitches.
The deadline for submissions is 18th December, 2020. Submissions after the deadline will not be acknowledged.
2. United Nations Academic Impact and Millenium Campus Network Fellowship 2021
The United Nations Academic Impact and MCN proudly present the Millennium Fellowship. The Fellowship is a semester-long leadership development program on your campus to take your social impact to the next level. The fellowship provides access to world class training, connections, and recognition.
The Application for the Class of 2021 is now open for undergraduate students around to the world.
The program will take place on selected campuses worldwide from August 2021 to December 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and eligible students will proceed to the second and final round of the application. Visit the application webpage to begin.