OPPORTUNITIES FOR LAW STUDENTS AND LAWYERS IN JUNE 2022
INTERNSHIPS AND JOB OPENINGS
1. Bridgeforte Attorneys’ Undergraduate Paid Virtual internship Program
Bridgeforte Attorneys is currently calling for applications for the July 2022 session of its undergraduate paid internship program. A merger of three mid-size law firms, Bridgeforte Attorneys is a commercial practice-focused law firm with core experience serving the legal needs of SMEs and MSMEs.
- You must be an undergraduate law student
- Be on a CGPA of 3.0 and above
- Exhibit a passion to learn more about the legal profession
- Be tech-savvy
Send your Curriculum Vitae and cover letter by mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application period runs from 7th June 2022 to 30th June 2022. Only qualified candidates will be contacted by the firm.
UNDP Global Digital Transformation Internship 2022
UNDP is the development arm of the United Nations. Present in 170 countries with over 17,000 people, UNDP works on the world’s biggest problems: extreme poverty, climate change, good governance, renewable energy, crisis prevention, and women’s empowerment, among others. The UNDP Digital Transformation Internship is an opportunity to work under the office of the Chief Digital Officer of the UNDP. It also affords an opportunity to contribute to the achievement of the UNDP Strategic Plan 2022-2025.
Duties and Responsibilities
Interested candidates will work in one of five workstreams. You are required to indicate which of the work streams you have the most expertise and interest in. Candidates will also be expected to fill the Workstream Interest form.
The workstreams are Digital development; Thought Leadership and Knowledge Management; Future Smart UNDP; Internal Digital Communications; and Strategic Partnerships.
- Account Management: Has interest and understanding of customer-oriented service delivery process including procurement, logistics and/or finance.
- Think Innovatively: Look beyond conventional approaches and established methods
- Problem Solving: Has a Proactive hands-on approach, also when operating with limited information
- Communication: Communicates effectively when working in teams and has a Proactive attitude with a goal-oriented mindset.
- Learn Continuously: Proactively seek feedback, demonstrates a desire to learn from others as well as from experiences, both positive and negative
- Collaboration: Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Engage and Partner: Demonstrate and encourage teamwork and co-creation internally and externally to achieve joint objectives and result
Candidates must meet one of the following educational requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher), or.
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (undergraduate; minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
- Have graduated with a university degree (first university degree, or second university degree or equivalent, or higher) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Interest/Experience in one of the workstream areas is desirable
How to Apply
Interested Candidates are to apply by filling out the Application Form. You are required to merge your CV and Cover Letter (both in English) into a single PDF document before submitting it on the application portal. Successful applicants will subsequently be required to provide electronic versions of additional documents. You can find more details about the job description on the official recruitment page of the UNDP. The deadline for application is midnight, the 30th of July, 2022.
International Bar Association Legal Internship Programme
The International Bar Association is recruiting for the Legal Internship Programme with its Human Rights Institute, Legal Policy & Research Unit, and Executive Office in London. The internship is to take place between January to March 2023.
Interns will assist the IBA in developing academic papers and research on key legal topics of both local and international relevance. They will be able to draft policy papers on substantive legal issues as well as assisting in preparing background research for grant proposals. Interns will have the opportunity to assist in implementing technical assistance programmes in developing countries and will have a chance to become involved in the work of departments of the Association.
The opportunity is open to undergraduate law students, postgraduate law students, and newly qualified lawyers.
How to Apply
- Prepare your cover letter stating why you should be considered, areas of research experience and interest as well as potential dates of your internship
- Have a recent and complete Curriculum Vitae/resume
- Download the application form and fill it.
- Submit a writing sample. This can be a legal essay you had written before. The writing sample must be in English and not more than 4-5 pages in length.
- Have your tutor or employer send a letter of reference stating your academic background, personality and suitability for the internship programme.
Submit your CV, cover letter and writing sample to email@example.com by Friday 26 August 2022 should you wish to be considered.
OMAPLEX Virtual Internship 2022 for Law Students
Applications for the Omaplex Virtual Internship Programme begin on the 21st of June and ends on the 1st of July 2022.
ESSAY COMPETITIONS AND CONTESTS
Budding Lawyers Space Annual National Essay Competition
The Budding Lawyers Space is proud to introduce her Maiden Annual National Essay Competition. According to the organizers, this competition is aimed primarily at providing law undergraduates with the platform to learn and engage legal research skills and writing skills. The Competition also aims at bridging the existing gap between law students and legal experiences beyond the classroom. The theme of the essay is An Analysis of Consumer Rights Protection in the Nigerian Aviation Industry.
- Only Nigerian law undergraduate students in 200 level and above are eligible to participate.
- Submissions are to be made in DOC or PDF formation.
- Entries are to be typed in Times New Roman font, 1.5 line spacing and font size 12.
- The word count for the essay ranges from a minimum of 1,600 words to a maximum of 2,000 words.
- All essays are to use footnotes and follow the OSCOLA referencing style.
- Interested participants are to submit their essays to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 24th June 2022.
Tax Payer’s Conference Debate
Tax House, in conjunction with Advanced Diploma in International Taxation(ADIT) of the Chartered Institute of Taxation UK announces the Tax Payer’s Conferece Debate ’22. The debate will be held in Honour of Prof. Judith Freedman, Emeritus Professor of Tax Law and Policy at the University of Oxford and an Honorary Fellow of the CIOT.
The competition is among a number of activities that are being organised for the Taxpapers Conference, which will take place online on 11-12 July. This year’s theme is ‘Boosting Taxpayers’ Morale’, and promises to bring together a diverse audience of tax stakeholders from around the world.
To be eligible, participants must be current undergraduate students of higher institutions.
How to Apply
The application process is in two stages, viz the essay competition and debate. After a successful essay contest, only two students will be selected per institution.
Participants are required to write an essay of 1000 words on “How to build trust in the Tax ecosystem: Echoes from my Jurisdiction. The submission is to be made in DOC or PDF format, typed in 12 font size, 1.15 line spacing and Times New Roman font. Essays are to include the name, institution, country, email address and phone number of the participant. You are to send your entries to email@example.com on or before 11:59pm on 20th June, 2022.
CIPM 2022 Annual Essay Competition
The Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria (CIPM) is pleased to announce this year’s edition of its annual essay competition. The CIPM is the regulatory body for Human Resource Management Practice in Nigeria. According to the institute, this essay competition is one of the Institute’s initiatives aimed at developing the research capabilities of undergraduate youth at institutions of higher learning in Nigeria.
- Participants must be undergraduates of any tertiary institution in Nigeria.
- Essays must not exceed 3000 words
- All entries must be properly referenced following the APA style.
- Submissions must be typed in Times New Roman, 12 points font size and double line spacing.
- Only MS Word document submissions are allowed.
- Plagiarism is prohibited and will lead to disqualification.
Rules for Submission of Entries
Interested participants are expected to scan a current ID card issued by their institution of learning, a copy of the student’s admission letter and a recent passport-sized photograph. These scanned documents as well as mobile telephone number and email address are to be included in a single Word document and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for submissions is Wednesday 31st August 2022.