OPPORTUNITIES FOR LAW STUDENTS AND LAWYERS MAY 2021
1. DETAIL Undergraduate Internship Programme
The DETAIL Solicitors Undergraduate Internship is open to students pursuing an LLB degree. The internship opportunity specifically provides students with exposure to transactional (non-courtroom) practice and mentorship.
During the course of the internship programme, interns will be expected to
- Shadow DETAIL lawyers over the course of the program
- Undertake training sessions in the Firm’s practice areas
- Provide support for on-going transactions and be assigned tasks routinely
- Participate in internal firm knowledge building and training sessions
- Be required to make a firm-wide presentation at the end of the internship program
To apply, visit https://www.detailsolicitors.com/application/ and sign up to access the application portal.
Application opens April 22, 2021 and closes May 14, 2021.
2. Tope Adebayo LLP NYSC Associate Role
Tope Adebayo LLP is a full service law firm located in Ikeja, Lagos State, Nigeria. The firm is receiving applications for Associates under the NYSC scheme. The role encompasses providing Litigation, Corporate & Commercial, and Business Advisory services.
- Minimum of Second-Class Upper Division from a recognized university and Nigeria Law School
- Applicants are to preferably male.
- Excellent critical and legal reasoning skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Keen eye for detail and effective time-management and self-scheduling skills
- Ability to remain confident in difficult circumstances and to possess the resilience to sustain performance, particularly when under pressure.
To apply, interested candidates are to send their updated CVs with qualifications stated and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title (VACANCY – NYSC ASSOCIATE) as the subject of the email.
See the above flyer for more details.
3. World Bank Legal Internship Program
The World Bank Legal Vice Presidency offers highly-motivated law students an opportunity to be exposed to the mission and work of the World Bank and that of the Legal Vice Presidency. The World Bank Legal Internship Program allows individuals to bring new perspectives, innovative ideas, and latest research experiences into the World Bank’s daily operations and improve their legal skills while working in a multicultural environment.
The Fall Application is currently ongoing and closes on the 30th of April, 2021.
Applicants are expected to hold citizenship of any IBRD member state and have a mastery of the English Language. Candidates should also be currently enrolled in an LLB, JD, LLM, SJD, PhD, or equivalent program.
To apply, candidates are to provide the following information via this link
- Statement of Interest
- Proof of enrollment in a law degree (LLB, JD, LLM, SJD, PhD, or equivalent) and academic transcript(s).
- Short essay providing a response to a research question posed by the Legal Vice Presidency for the prevailing application period.
4. WIPO National IP Essay Competition 2021
To commemorate the World Intellectual Property day, the WIPO Nigeria Office welcomes participation of all students of tertiary institutions across Nigeria in the 2021 National IP Essay Competition on the topic “Intellectual Property, SMEs, and Economic Recovery in Nigeria”.
Participation in the competition will provide students with an excellent opportunity to research and learn more about the field of IP, as they explore policy ideas that can help stimulate Nigeria’s economic recovery through SMEs.
Entries are welcome from all students of tertiary institutions in Nigeria, and in line with the competition guidelines should be accompanied with a valid student proof of enrolment.
For more details on participation and prizes, download the competition leaflet here.
5. The Nigeria Higher Education Foundation (NHEF) 6th Annual Scholarship Essay Competition
The Nigeria Higher Education Foundation (NHEF) is pleased to announce its 6th Annual Scholarship Essay Competition.
This year’s competition aims to provide a platform that encourages Nigerian university students to think critically and strategically on topical issues that are of vital importance to Nigeria’s sustainable growth and development.
In light of the COVID-19 Pandemic, the focus of this edition of the competition is “The Role of Digital Technology in the Nigerian Higher Education System.”
The COVID-19 pandemic has dismantled global conventions and most notably impacted the activities of higher education institutions. Adapting to a new stay-at-home landscape, global education systems have responded with digitally innovative methods of teaching and learning that will redefine the future of classroom training.
Using relevant examples, critically analyze the role of digital technology in transitioning higher education in Nigeria to a post-pandemic system.
- The Grand Prize winner will be awarded ₦100,000, a new laptop, 1 online certificate course, a 1-year internet subscription and 1 year of university tuition.
- The First Runner-up will be awarded ₦75,000, a 1-year internet subscription and 1 year of university tuition.
- The Second Runner-up will be awarded ₦50,000, a 1-year internet subscription and 1 year of university tuition.
- This competition is only open to students enrolled at NHEF Partner Universities. NHEF will verify the enrolment of each contestant with the University Registrar.
- NHEF Partner Universities include Ahmadu Bello University, Bayero University, Kano, Kwara State University, University of Ibadan, University of Lagos, University of Nigeria, Nsukka and University of Port Harcourt.
- Previous NHEF Essay Competition & Scholars Program beneficiaries are not eligible to participate in this competition.
Essays must abide by the following guidelines prior to submission:
- Entries should reflect author’s ability to explore and discuss ideas / ethical concepts and demonstrate the conduct of research with a sufficiently detailed summary.
- Only one entry may be submitted per student.
- The essay must include a title page, a bibliography, and a scanned copy of the contestant’s current Student ID.
- The student’s name, university, and registration ID# must appear in the header of each page.
- The essay must not exceed 2000 words. It must be double-spaced, 12pt Times New Roman font, and contain numbered pages with one-inch margins excluding the bibliography and title page.
- References in the essay should be included and clearly identified.
- Naming convention is as follows: 2021 NHEF Essay Competition – Name of Applicant e.g., 2021 NHEF Essay Competition – Adekunle Ciroma Ahmed.
- Entries must be submitted in PDF format.
- All entries must be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com by 11:59 p.m. (WAT) on May 28, 2021.
Students are encouraged to avoid plagiarism, as the essays will be checked for intellectual authenticity. This link contains a helpful guide on how to avoid plagiarism.
For more information, visit https://www.thenhef.org/news-events/6th-annual-scholarship-essay-competition/.
6. OMAPLEX Virtual Internship 2021
Omaplex Law Firm has launched the second edition of her Omaplex Virtual Internship.
The Omaplex Virtual Internship (OVIP) is structured to bridge the gap between theoretical knowledge and actual law Practice.
The internship program is open to young lawyers, graduates, and undergraduates from all fields.
Interested applicants are expected to write an essay of not more than 200 words highlighting why they are interested in the virtual internship programme. stating their expectation(s) of the law practice in the next five years.
Applicants are to further post a screenshot of their application essay on their social media page and share the link in the application form via the link below.
Deadline: 16th May, 2021