OPPORTUNITIES FOR LAW STUDENTS AND LAWYERS IN SEPTEMBER 2020
1. Nigerian Institute of Chartered Arbitrators Annual Essay Writing Competition
The Nigerian Institute of Chartered Arbitrators (NICARB) announces its annual essay writing competition. The theme for this year’s essay is “Sovereign Immunity from Legal and Arbitral Proceedings and Execution Against the Assets of a Sovereign State.”
- Only participants between the age of 18 and 25 are eligible.
- Essay submissions must be typed with Arial font type, size 12 and 1.5 line spacing (Footnotes are to be typed in Arial font type, size 10).
- The word count for submissions is 3000-10000 words (including footnotes).
- Entries are to be submitted to email@example.com
- Deadline for submission is 20th October, 2020
First position – ₦150,000
Second position – ₦100,000
Third Position – ₦50,000
Winners will be officially awarded at the 2020 Annual Conference of the Institute. The top two essays will also be published in the Institute’s Journal of Arbitration.
2. The NCDMB Annual National Undergraduate Essay Competition
The NCDMB Annual National Undergraduate Essay Competition is sponsored by the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB) to promote academic excellence and Nigerian Content to encourage the youths to build local capacities and competencies for effective participation in Nigeria’s Oil and Gas industry.
This year’s competition is focused on the theme: RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT AS A KEY LEVER FOR LOCAL CONTENT IMPLEMENTATION IN NIGERIA’S OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY.
- The essay contest is open to 100-200 level students in public and private Universities in Nigeria.
- Entrants must submit either a letter of admission or a signed letter of attestation from his/her Head of Department (HOD).
- All essays must be original works specifically written for the competition.
- Co-authorship of essay is not permitted.
- Entrants are to submit only one entry.
- The word limit for submissions is 1,500 WORDS.
- Essay entrants must accompany their submissions with their current contact information, including phone number and email address.
- Entrants’ NAMES SHALL NOT APPEAR ON THE MANUSCRIPT, but on a separate title page to be removed when a number is assigned to the entry.
- Shortlisted entrants will be contacted FOR THE VIRTUAL INTERACTIVE ASSESSMENT to defend their submitted essays.
- Essays will be judged based on Clarity of Expression, Spelling and Grammar, Originality of thought, Depth of Analysis, Relevance to Industry, and Conformity to Contest Rules.
- All essays will be subjected to plagiarism check (software application) to determine originality.
- Essay entrants must not include personal details inside the ESSAY CONTENT i.e. your email, phone number, address, name, University and state or else it will be disqualified.
- Completed manuscripts and accompanying documents must be submitted to ncdmbessay.com on or before 25th September, 2020 Late manuscripts will not be considered. Hardcopy submissions will not be accepted. Entrants are to register on the organization’s site first.
- For more information, visit https://ncdmbessay.com/contest-rules/
First position – ₦1,000,000
Second position – ₦500,000
Third Position – ₦300,000
Entries placed 4th to 10th will each receive laptops. The winning essay will be published in the NCDMB’s in-house magazine, Local Content Digest. The successful Top 10 Finalists will be notified by the 16th October, 2020 while the virtual award ceremony comes up 27th October, 2020
3. The Jurist International Article Writing Competition
TheJurist is one of India’s leading think-tanks and research-resource centre for formulating and promoting fundamental reforms in socio, political, legal spheres and in critical areas of state policy. With a vision to promote diversified opinions concerning law and society and to help the legal fraternity to understand the dynamics of law from multiple perspectives, TheJurist organizes International Article Writing Competition, 2020 for the Global Student Community.
TheJurist calls on applicants to submit article entries on any international contemporary legal issue.
Visit https://thejurist.co.in/events/tjiawc/ for the competition modalities.