INTERNSHIPS AND JOB OPPORTUNITIES
1. J.O. Fabunmi & Co. Graduate Internship
J.O. Fabunmi & Co. (JOF Solicitors) is a full-service law firm with a variety of specialized skills and abilities. JOF Solicitors is one of Nigeria’s leading corporate and commercial law firms, with the firm’s office located in the commercial hub of Lagos. The firm strives to understand our clients’ businesses and markets in order to obtain the best results for them.
JOF Solicitors are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Graduate Intern
Position Summary: The firm is looking for a Graduate Intern who will carry out legal research, collate information, processes and documents for the firm.
Job Requirements: Applicants must possess an LL.B and be awaiting admission into the Nigerian Law School.
Application Closing Date: 11th November, 2020.
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
2. Jumia Nigeria Legal Manager Role
Jumia is Africa’s leading internet group, with already over 3,000 employees in more than 20 African countries and huge successes such as Jumia, Jumia Travel, Jumia Food, Jumia Deals, Jumia House, Jumia Jobs and Jumia Services. It is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by MTN, Millicom, Rocket Internet, Axa, Orange, Goldman Sachs & CdC.
Jumia is recruiting to fill the role below:
Role: Legal Manager (Full-time)
Job Type: Full Time
As Legal Manager, your responsibility would be to support the Head of Legal and Corporate Governance in giving legal advice to management on all relevant issues and to ensure that the company adheres strictly to all laws and guidelines with the sole aim of protecting the company’s reputation.
Key Responsibilities of the Legal Manager Role
- Proffer advice on legal and regulatory topics across the full range of transactions, particularly providing support to Jumia Services.
- Advising on general business law issues and managing the legal issues of all areas of the company, including but not limited to corporate matters, procurement, safety, security, insurance and sustainability issues.
- Review, draft and negotiate various commercial agreements.
- Liaise with various regulatory bodies in getting necessary regulatory approvals.
- Liaise with external legal counsel in managing various litigation.
- Identify and mitigate potential legal risks.
- Liaise with various Law enforcement agencies including Nigeria Police, EFCC, DSS, Nigeria Customs, etc.
- Keep track of all Insurance cases and liaise with Insurance companies to in the settlement of insurance claims.
- Ability to deliver high-quality work under deadlines
Qualification & Experience
- LLB from a recognised and accredited University
- 7+ years’ legal experience in a top law firm or corporate practice.
- A mix of professional experience as in-house legal counsel in a technology-related business and legal counsel in a top tier law firm with international clients or other relevant private or public practice.
- Proven ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies.
- Litigation skills to handle administrative procedures within public authorities.
- Sound judgement and ability to analyse situations and information
- Adequate knowledge of the e-commerce/technology Industry
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced organisation
What do you stand to gain as a Jumia Employee?
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team working around the world
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders for our future internet ventures.
Application Closing Date: Not Specified.
To apply, visit the job application portal to fill in your details and attach required documents.
3. Custodian Investment Plc. Legal Officer Role
Custodian Investment Plc. is an investment company with significant holding in companies and brands including Custodian and Allied Insurance Limited, Custodian Life Assurance Limited, Custodian Trustees and Crusader Sterling Pensions Limited all rendering best in class services in their respective spheres.
Custodian is recruiting for the role below:
Job Role: Legal Officer
Job Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job Purpose: The officer is expected to provide legal services and guidance as necessary to organisations within the Group
Duties & Responsibilities
- Draft and review a wide variety of legal agreements
- Provide advice on corporate legal issues and business matters
- Provide internal advisory services to the business units and departments within the Company
- Provide commercial legal support to all departmental projects and job functions
- Ensure the development of service level agreements for service support and delivery
- Monitor the maintenance of the registers and other records required to be maintained by the Company in accordance with all applicable laws
- Provide all such other administrative and other secretarial duties as directed by the General Counsel & Company Secretary.
- Assist in the development of guidelines, policies, procedures
- Analyse and review legal agreements, legislation and documents for the Board
- Review and advice management on legal implications of internal policies and procedures
- Review and draft contracts, agreements and internal policies and ensure that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements
- Any other duties as may be assigned
- LLB and BL (minimum of second class lower)
- Member of the Nigerian Bar Association
- 4-5 post call to bar experience
- Good research skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proactive, Resourceful and hands-on with good initiative.
- Strong knowledge of corporate law; commitment and enthusiasm in the delivery of the organization’s objectives.
- Good understanding of general and specific Company and commercial law
Application Closing Date: Not Specified.
To apply, visit the job application portal to fill in your details and attach required documents.
1. 2021 Federal Scholarship Award For Nigeria Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students
The Honourable Minister of Education (HME), Mallam Adamu Adamu, hereby invites interested and qualified Nigerians to participate in the 2021/2022 Federal Government Scholarship Awards under the Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA)
- Host Country: Russia, Morocco, Algeria, Serbia, Hungary, Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey, Cuba, Romania, Japan, Macedonia, China, Mexico, South Korea, e.t.c.
- Category: Undergraduates, Masters & PhD
- Eligible Countries: Nigeria
- Reward: Full Scholarship with Stipends
- Deadline: Unspecified
BILATERAL EDUCATION AGREEMENT (BEA)
i) Undergraduate (UG) studies tenable in Russia, Morocco, Algeria, Serbia, Hungary, Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey, Cuba, Romania, Japan, Macedonia
ii) Postgraduate (PG) studies tenable in Russia (for those whose first degrees were obtained from Russia), China, Hungary, Serbia, Turkey, Japan, Mexico, South Korea, e.t.c.
A. Undergraduate Scholarship: All applicants for undergraduate degree courses must possess a minimum qualification of Five (5) Distinctions (As & Bs) in the Senior Secondary School Certificates, WASSCE/WAEC (May/June) only in the subjects relevant to their fields of study including English Language and Mathematics.
Certificates should not be more than two (2) years old (2019 & 2020) for Non-African Countries and for African countries the age of certificate is one year (2020) only. The age limit is from 17 to 20 years.
B. POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS: All applicants for Postgraduate degree courses must hold a First Degree with 1st Class or at least 2nd Class Upper Division. The applicants who are previous recipients of Foreign Awards must have acquired at least two (2) years post qualification experience or employment practice in Nigeria.
All applicants must have completed N.Y.S.C. Programme and the age limit is 35 years for Masters and 40 years for Ph.D.
i) N.Y.S.C discharge or exemption certificates only are accepted; ii) Evidence of readiness to be released by an employer.
Available fields of study
- Undergraduate level – Engineering, Geology, Agriculture, Sciences, Mathematics, Languages, Environmental Sciences, Sports, Law, Social Sciences, Biotechnology, Architecture, Medicine (very limited), Pilot Engineering, Neurologis
- Postgraduate level (Masters Degree and PhD) in all fields.
GENERAL NOTE FOR ALL APPLICANTS:
Since the BEA countries are non-English speaking, applicants should be prepared to undertake a mandatory one-year foreign Language course of the Country of choice which will be the standard medium of instruction;
- The required certificate for candidates applying for Bachelor in Imamat, Quran Teaching Professor and Imam Preacher Training for Islamic Religious studies in Algeria is WASSCE/WAEC, and no other certificate is accepted,
- All applicants for Hungarian Scholarship can apply for up to two fields of study in order of preference and must visit the website: www.stipendiumhungaricum.hu which will hopefully be opened between October and November 2020, Complete the application form online,
- All applicants for Russian Postgraduate Scholarship must have acquired their 1st Degree in Russia;
- All Applicants to upload the following certificates online;
a. UNDERGRADUATE (UG): WAEC/WASSCE, Birth Certificate, Indigene letter. b. POSTGRADUATE (PG): 1st Degree Certificate, Birth Certificate, WAEC/WASSCE, Indigene letter & NYSC discharge Certificate.
NB: Candidates nominated by the Board will be required to submit to Federal Scholarship Board the following:
- Authenticated copies of academic certificates;
- Data page of the current International passport;
- Specified Medical Reports from Government hospitals;
- National Identification Number (NIN)
- Police Clearance Certificate where necessary.
2. 2021 American University Cairo African Graduate Fellowships (AGF) For Non-Egyptians Students
The African Graduate fellowship is a competitive fellowship program for bright, highly motivated African students interested in pursuing a master degree at AUC. Each year, fellowships are offered to nationals of African countries (not including Egyptians) for full-time study (nine credits or as required by the program) in any of the graduate programs offered at the AUC.
The University admits outstanding graduate students who demonstrate the ability to do creative and original work. A graduate applicant must have an acceptable bachelor’s degree, with a record at the required level and perform well on any designated entrance examination.
AUC offers 53 master programs and two PhD programs in addition to various graduate diplomas. For a complete list of the graduate programs, click here.
In order to be eligible to apply for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Non-Egyptian African nationals
- Open to all disciplines of graduate studies
- For new graduate degree-seeking students; full admission to one of the graduate programs in AUC, satisfying AUC graduate full admissions requirements
- Submit an International TOEFL iBT exam score or academic IELTS exam score as per the cut-off scores for AUC graduate admissions
- For continuing students; to retain the fellowship, the recipient must maintain a GPA of 3.2
- Financial need
Scholarship Duration and Reward
Two academic years and the intervening summer session, with a review every semester for satisfactory academic performance.
The fellowship covers:
- Tuition fees, for a maximum of nine credits per semester
- Monthly stipend
- Student services and activities fees
- Medical service and health insurance fees
- A monthly housing allowance for non-residents of Cairo or accommodation in University residences at AUC New Cairo Campus
Method of Application
- Check the admission deadlines and plan ahead.
- Decide upon the graduate program you wish to pursue and are eligible for:
- Degree-seeking (master, graduate diploma, doctoral)
- Non degree (regular, exchange, study abroad)
- Make sure to review the requirements listed for each program and take the time to read the instructions and the checklist for your intended program to prepare the required credentials and tests
- Submit the online application. Indicate your full name as written in your national ID card (for Egyptian applicants) or passport (for international applicants)
- Attach your credentials as instructed in the online application. You must include a clear copy of your valid personal ID
- At least two letters of recommendation must be submitted as instructed in the online application. Once you submit the selection of your evaluators, electronic notifications of your request will be sent to these evaluators and you will receive an email to confirm that your request has reached them. You can track the process until you are informed that their letters for you have been submitted to AUC. It is the applicant’s responsibility to track this process and to ensure that the evaluators submit their letters by the set deadlines. Only online letters of recommendation will be accepted
- Submit the required test results: plan ahead to take and submit any required tests by their due date. The recipient code for AUC for TOEFL and GRE test results is 0903. You are required to include this number when requesting online access for AUC to view your test results.
- Once your admission application is successfully submitted you will be contacted by AUC to let you know your AUC student ID number. Be sure to include it in all your correspondences with AUC
- The Office of Graduate Admissions will contact you by email at a later time to let you know the status of your application form and if at this first stage of evaluations you are required to submit additional documentation and by when. Your prompt response and cooperation will facilitate the swift evaluation of your application. Ensure that the email address you have indicated is correct and that your account is checked regularly for correspondences from AUC
- If applicants are interested in applying for funding opportunities offered at AUC, then you must wait for five working days after you receive your AUC ID number to be granted access to submit funding related applications. Read more about funding: fellowships, financial aid and US loans.
1. SPA Ajibade & Co. Essay Competition
S. P. A. Ajibade & Co invites entries for an essay competition as part of its 13th annual business luncheon. The essay is open to Nigerian legal practitioners. The theme of this essay competition is THE PROS, CONS AND CHALLENGES OF ESTABLISHING AND ENFORCING A SCALE OF CHARGES FOR LEGAL SERVICES IN NIGERIA
- Entries are to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 25/11/20. Late and hardcopy submissions will not be accepted.
- Submissions must be in one MS Word document (No PDFs) and include a title page with the title of the essay, author’s name and contact information (phone number and email address) and a 100-word (or less) biography.
- Essays must be submitted in English, must not exceed 1500 words (excluding title page, endnotes and bibliography), should be submitted with numbered pages, and double-spaced using Arial, 11-point font.
- Essays must be original and not previously published.
- Entrants are to submit only one entry. Co-authorship is not permitted.
- Essays will be judged based on clarity of expression, spelling, and grammar, originality of thought, depth of analysis, relevance to industry, and conformity to contest rules.
- The winner shall be announced during the Annual Business Luncheon on 3rd December 2020.
Note: This contest is open only to individuals qualified to practice law in Nigeria.
All questions or concerns can be forwarded to email@example.com.
- The author of the best entry shall be awarded full sponsorship for one certificate earning course with any of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb); the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSAN); or the Chartered Institute of Taxation.
2. 2021 Cisco Global Problem Solver Challenge For Entrepreneurs ($1 Million USD Cash Prize)
The Cisco Global Problem Solver Challenge is an online competition that awards cash prizes to early-stage startups that have developed a solution that drives economic development or solves a social or environmental problem. The competitions aims to encourage them to address some of the biggest challenges we face by creating cutting-edge, technology-based solutions.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Register to Participate
You can participate as an individual, as part of a team, or as a business entity. Teams may have a maximum of 5 members. If you are registering as part of a team, your team leader will need to register first and then can invite you to register as a member of the team, using your email address. For detailed eligibility requirements, please review the rules. Once you are ready, click here to register.
Prepare your Submission
There will be two distinct submission rounds.
Round one opens October 27, 2020 and closes January 29, 2021, at 5:00 pm PT. To prepare your submission, you will need to complete an online questionnaire which will cover the following topics:
- Defining the problem you are solving
- Explaining the solution, including:
- Its benefits and how it uses IoT or digital technologies
- How it is unique and will be taken to market
- Risks associated with the solution
- 90-second pitch video explaining the solution
Once you are ready, click here to register (or log in) and prepare your submission.
Submit Your Solution
Once you’ve prepared and double-checked all your materials, be sure to login and submit them. You must upload all materials and submit them before January 29, 2021, at 5 pm PT. Remember, you must click submit before the deadline in order for your entry to be considered.
Please check your entry for completeness and ensure your video does not exceed 90 seconds. Also, do not use unlicensed images, music, or video content in your submission.
Judges evaluate submissions and are looking for ideas that are especially innovative and clearly articulate the use of technology, feasibility, and scale of impact.
On March 30, 2021, Semi-Finalists will be invited via email to submit a more detailed proposal. The round two application window opens March 30, 2021 and closes April 23, 2021, at 5 pm PT.
In addition to the information provided in round one, the online round two questionnaire for Semi-Finalists will include the following sections:
- Problem and solution summary explanation
- Detailed technical overview of solution
- Timeline for next 12-24 months
- Addressable Market
- Financial model
- Team bios
If you are selected as a Semi-Finalist, be sure that your team leader logs in to the Challenge website before the April 23, 2021, 5 pm PT deadline to double check all of the materials and click submit in order to be considered for the final round.
Be sure to check that your content meets the submission guidelines, or your entry may be disqualified. It’s also important to check for completeness, appropriate content, video length, and unlicensed images, music, or video. If your round two application is not submitted by the deadline, it will not be considered.
Vote and Promote
If you are selected as a Finalist, we recommend that you share your participation in the Cisco Global Problem Solver Challenge 2021 with your supporters and invite them to vote for their favorite entries. Voting for the People’s Choice Award takes place from June 2 – 18, 2021.
NB: Winners will be announced on June 29, 2021
Deadline: January 29, 2021
Click here to register and begin your application