OPPORTUNITIES FOR LAW STUDENTS AND LAWYERS IN MARCH 2021
1. Dafe Akpedeye SAN Essay Competition
Compos Mentis Chambers has announced the 2nd Edition of the Dafe Akpedeye SAN Essay Competition. The competition is opened to all students of Nigerian Faculties of Law. The theme for the competition is “Drake’s 2018 ‘In My Feelings’, the Proliferated Shiggy Dance, and Copyright Considerations – The Nigerian Perspective.“
Submissions for the essay competition opens on the 4th of March and runs till the 11:59 pm on the 11th of April 2021. Winners will be announced on the 16th of May 2021.
The organizers of the competition require that applicants meet the following requirements:
- Entrants should strictly be Law Students of Universities in Nigeria.
- Entrants must be enrolled in the undergraduate study of Law in any of the Nigerian Universities and must have commenced study as of the date of entry. Entrants will be required to upload evidence of studentship (Faculty of Law or Law students’ body Identity Card)
- Entries must not exceed 2000 words, and entries must be in Times New Roman and Font size 12. Exceeding the word count will result in an automatic disqualification.
- Entries must be written in the English Language, and all non-English language maxims and expressions must be italicised.
- Only one entry per participant is allowed. Once an entry is submitted, entrants will not have the opportunity to revise it. Please carefully check and improve your writing before submitting the final copy, and also ensure that all supplementary information is filled in correctly (name, contact details, etc.)
- The Firm maintains a strict rule against plagiarism.
- Final documents should not include the entrant’s personal details including name, age, school, or country. This information should be inputted upon entry.
- The final copy submitted for the competition must be the entrant’s own original work. This does not rule out input or assistance from others but does exclude group entries.
- Essays can only be uploaded as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or docx) or in PDF format (.pdf). The online platform does not accept Google Docs (.gdoc), Pages documents (.pages), or other word processor formats. Note: if the firm is unable to find or open your entry file (either through an incorrect format or upload error), your entry may not be considered in the competition.
- All entries must be written on and relevant to the supplied theme.
- All entries must be submitted by 11th April, 2021. Any entry submitted later than this date is deemed disqualified.
- All entrants retain their copyright for the entries submitted. However, by entering the Essay Competition, each contestant consents to the use of his/her name, and/or pieces or parts thereof in any advertisements, educational materials, corpus research or media and publicity carried out or produced by Compos Mentis Legal Practitioners.
- The organizers advise that entrants retain a copy of their original work as they are unable to return or provide copies of submitted entries.
A total cash prize of ₦500,000 is to be won by successful applicants
To submit your entry, visit the competition page to fill an essay entry form and upload your submission.
2. NBA LAGOS (YLF) ESSAY COMPETITION
The Lagos Branch of the Nigerian Bar Association (Young Lawyers Forum) presents the NBA Lagos YLF Essay Competition. The theme for the essay competition is Revenue Generation through Taxation versus Investment Attraction through Tax Incentives; In Search of a Balance.
Submission for the essay closes on the 2nd of April. Qualified members of the NBA can get more information from the official social media handles of the NBA Lagos YLF.
3. SimmonsCooper Advocacy Development 2021
The SCAD is an initiative of SimmonsCooper Partners, a leading law firm in Nigeria. The bi-annual Advocacy contest usually involves an extensive brief-writing stage and an oral presentation round. It is open to undergraduate law students and law school students.
Interested law students are to download the Dispute Scenario from the SCAD Website, The top 10 candidates from the Brief Writing Stage will move on to the Oral Presentation at a time to be announced.
Deadline for submission of briefs is the 17th of April, 2021.
1st Position: ₦1,000,000 + Internship at SimmonsCooper Partners
2nd Position: ₦500,000 + Internship at SimmonsCooper Partners
3rd Position: ₦250,000 + Internship at SimmonsCooper Partners
4th – 10th Position: ₦50,000 each